Drug testing at trucking companies: What it stands for
DOT essentially stands for Department of Transportation and was first established in October 1966 by a Congress act. Its operation commenced in April 1967 and is currently governed by the United States Secretary of Transportation. It is used for implementing and enforcing national regulations regarding the usage of roads and highways to streamline transportation programs.
The Department of Transportation (DOT) as well as the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires individuals carrying a commercial driver’s license (CDL) to follow the mandatory drug and alcohol testing rules. These rules may involve testing methods, frequencies, as well as the substances tested for.
CDL drug testing is extremely strict and hard on truckers because of the strict legal policies imposed on them by the FMCSA. Truckers are responsible for handling and operating vehicles that transport state-owned goods and therefore need to be at the peak of their health. It is imperative for truck drivers to test negative for drugs and alcohol to avoid any related incidents.
Who is impacted by these rules?
Drug testing at trucking companies is a mandate imposed on truckers and commercial drivers. The ones who need to follow these regulations are as follows:-
- Any company employing CDL drivers to drive CMVs in public
- CDL drivers operating CMVs in public
- Intrastate motor carriers
- Interstate motor carriers
- Federal, local and State governments
- Faith-based organizations
- Civic organizations
A DOT certification indicates that you have the necessary skills and qualifications for operating commercial motor vehicles safely. To secure this certification, you will have to go through a series of driving tests, written tests, a DOT physical exam, as well as a thorough background check all of which you will need to pass. It also includes a routine drug or alcohol test. It is a mandate for truckers to test negative for any drug test that they are required to take.
There are certain DOT requirements that all truck drivers need to meet. They also need to undergo CDL drug testing for obtaining a DOT certification without a hitch. Some of the common mandatory requirements are:-
- Negative results in an alcohol or drug test
- Being 18 to 21 years of age.
- Having a viable driver’s license.
- Having on-the-road driving experience for a minimum of three years
- Passing the DOT physical
4. DOT Compliance
DOT Compliance refers to meeting the mandatory federal regulations set by the US Department of Transportation. Violation of any one of the following standards can result in grave consequences:-
- Perform DOT drug tests on every driver and ensure that they come back negative
- Have a personal copy of the FMCSA and DOT rules
- Provide a copy of said rules to every driver
- Incorporate a vehicle maintenance service to avoid unnecessary breakdowns
- Thoroughly inspect vehicles before and after every trip.
- Track every incident and think of ways to avoid
- Records the history of every driver
5. DOT Physical
If you are a commercial motor vehicle, you need to be physically able to operate the vehicle safely. Obtaining a DOT physical exam is proof that you are free from any medical conditions. You also need to strictly undergo a series of drug tests to ensure that you are not abusing substances or alcohol that can potentially be the cause of accidents. tA DOT physical exam will include detailed information about the following:-
- Alcohol and drug test results
- Medical conditions or health issues that you currently have
- Health indicators like hearing, vision and blood pressure
For certain medical conditions like Diabetes Mellitus, high blood pressure or heart disease, you will need to undergo a DOT physical annually. For very high blood pressure, you might need to have physicals every 3 months and proof that you are undergoing medical treatment to solve the issue.
Opt for Affordable Rapid Testing for ethical and seamless CDL drug testing
Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) drug and alcohol testing is essential for every trucker and trucking company. Upon passing every criterion and the DOT physical, you will be given a medical certificate that will allow you a 2-year limit for driving a CMV. Affordable Rapid Testing offers the best drug testing services that specialise in providing the quickest and most accurate results. To know more, check out their website.