Your reproductive health should be one of your primary concerns. Chlamydia, a sexually transmitted infection (STI), is a serious threat to your reproductive system. The bacterium Chlamydia Trachomatis is responsible for causing this infection.
Both men and women are susceptible to Chlamydia, which enters the body through unprotected oral, vaginal, and anal sex. Many people with Chlamydia may not notice the symptoms at first, making it difficult to diagnose and treat. So you can pass this infection to your partners without knowing. Even mothers can transmit Chlamydia to their newborn babies during birth.
The infection, once spread through the whole body, leads to long-term complications. Your priority should be to get screened and treated for this STI as soon as possible. Chlamydia testing is one way to find out your condition. In this article, we have discussed the possible symptoms of Chlamydia and its treatment procedure.
Symptoms of Chlamydia
Some STIs are often camouflaged meaning their symptoms are hardly detectable. Chlamydia is considered one such “silent infection” for its ability to lay dormant for a a long period. Some people have reportedly even carried it for about twenty years before their exhibiting signs of infection. Usually, Chlamydia shows its first symptoms within 1 week to 3 weeks after entering the body. The symptoms may also vary a little depending on whether the patient is male or female.
Chlamydia symptoms in women
If you are a woman and you are worried that you might have Chlamydia, here are some common symptoms of this STI in women that you should be aware of:-
- Abnormal vaginal discharge with a strong odor
- Burning and itching sensations in and around the vagina
- Pain during and after intercourse
- Bleeding between period cycles
- Severe cramps during menstruation
- Abdominal pain followed by fever
- Pain while urinating
- Cervix inflammation (Cervicitis)
Untreated Chlamydia can damage the fallopian tubes. This condition in women is called Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) and can even be life-threatening without the right treatment.
Chlamydia symptoms in men
The following symptoms in men can indicate Chlamydia based on the diagnosis:-
- Greenish or yellowish discharge from the penis
- Pain while peeing
- Swelled testicles with pain
- Abdominal pain
- Burning or itching on and near the penis
Common Chlamydia symptoms in both men and women
Some common symptoms of this STI that both genders share include:-
- Discharge or bleeding from the rectum
- Pain in the rectum
- Throat infection
- Redness and pain in the eyes
- Discharge from the eyes
Please note that if you encounter any of the above symptoms of Chlamydia, it is advised that you should get treated by a healthcare expert. Chlamydia, if left ignored and untreated for a long time, will impact your overall health.
The proper treatment for Chlamydia
If you are experiencing the aforementioned symptoms and suspect that you have contracted Chlamydia, it is important to get the right treatment to cure it. Following are the steps to getting the treatment for Chlamydia:-
- Getting tested: Both men and women will be asked to provide a sample of their urine or blood for Chlamydia testing. In the case of urine testing for Chlamydia, you need to resist urinating for two hours before the test. This way the presence of the pathogen will be maximized. Also, swab tests are done to determine the presence of Chlamydia in the system.
For women, the healthcare professional would take a swab from the cervix during a Pap test.
For men, they will ask for a swab test to take a sample from the urethra.
And in both cases, a swab from the anus may be taken if the infection is in the rectum.
- Treating with prescribed antibiotics: Chlamydia is typically treated with antibiotics, which can be prescribed by a healthcare provider or obtained through a pharmacy or sexual health clinic.
The most frequently prescribed antibiotics for Chlamydia are Azithromycin and Doxycycline. These can be taken orally or injected. The usual period of treatment for Chlamydia is 7 days although some shorter course of antibiotics may be recommended. Also, it is important to complete the course of antibiotics as prescribed, even if symptoms improve or go away.
You will be strictly recommended to refrain from any sexual intimacy during your treatment. This is because it is a sensitive phase and you can spread it to your sexual partner.
Tests for STDs are done to determine the presence of the specific pathogen in the body. So it is mandatory to get screened and tested before assuming you have Chlamydia.
Choose Affordable Rapid Testing, AZ for accurate STD testing
Chlamydia is a curable infection so the faster you treat it, the easier it gets for you. If you are wondering where to get an STD test, Affordable Raid Testing is a trusted clinic, located in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona. They provide walk-in STD testing with fast and precise results. If you are curious about their services, please go through their official website.