People can contract STIs without them knowing it. Often, these are symptomless in the beginning which calls for STD testing for early detection. The type and frequency of STD testing vary across various age groups, sexual activities, and lifestyle habits.
What is an STI?
All STDs (Sexually Transmitted Diseases) start as STIs or sexually transmitted infections. The infection occurs upon entry of pathogens into the body through various means, most of them being through sexual contact between two individuals. Common examples of STIs are Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Herpes, and HIV/AIDS.
What is HIV?
HIV stands for Human Immunodeficiency Virus and causes a disease known as AIDS which is an STI. This virus goes on to impair the normal functioning of immune cells. This causes the person’s body to lose the capability to fight off infections.
What are the probable symptoms of an STI?
Symptoms of STIs may vary according to the person’s age and the severity of the infection. However common symptoms include-
- Discharge from the genitalia
- Strong odor from the genital area
- Difficulty urinating
- Sores and rashes in and around the genital area
- Muscle soreness and pain
Preventive measures for STDs
One can significantly reduce the risk of contracting STDs by:
- Using condoms and other barrier methods while indulging in any sexual activity
- Getting frequent medical check-ups done
- Getting physically engaged only with known people whom you can trust
Accessibility of STD testing in Phoenix, AZ
Getting an appointment for STD testing can be an intimidating task. But in reality, it is way easier than you could have imagined. There are various federal programs available for STD testing in Arizona that one can avail of. You can directly contact your nearest STD testing centers via call and get to know about the types of STD tests that are available there. The health care advisors help individuals to know what tests are required by them by personalized diagnosis.
The various tests available for STDs are mostly painless and are done quickly. The common STD testing that you might have to go through are:
- Blood Test– This is required for Syphilis, HIV, and at times Herpes diagnosis.
- Urine Test– This is required for the diagnosis of Trichomoniasis and Gonorrhea.
- Swab Test– This is required to test for HPV, Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, and Herpes. A swab sample from the vagina, throat, penis, cervix, or urethra depending on the disease being tested.
Low-cost to no-cost services are available which are confidential, ensuring the privacy of the individual. Public Health STD Clinics ensure the privacy of individual testing and test reports. No outgoing calls regarding tests are done without the individual’s prior permission and all the test reports are informed individually. Several federal programs and county health clinics offer free-of-cost tests as well as treatment for HIV and STDs. In addition, certain health insurances also cover STD tests and treatment plans. Check if your insurance covers STIs.
What are the things to remember before going for STD testing in Arizona?
One must keep in mind the following things before getting an appointment for STD testing in Phoenix:
- For the tests requiring urine samples, the individual has to abstain from indulging in any sexual engagement and avoid urinating one-hour prior to testing.
- The STD testing may require an examination of the genital area.
- Blood is drawn for an HIV exam and the test results are usually delivered in 7-10 days.
- One may opt for the Merck Vaccine Assistance Program if they are aged 19 or older and do not have health insurance, and can avail of the HPV vaccine free of cost.
- Some vaccines follow a course spanning over a couple of months which calls for the individual to keep visiting the health center to derive maximum benefits.
- One can opt for Rapid HIV Testing where the test results are available in 10-40 minutes.
Affordable Rapid Testing in Arizona is what you need
Screening for STDs is a necessity with the growing number of STD cases all around. One can opt for Affordable Rapid Testing, Phoenix, AZ which offers rapid HIV testing and other STD tests through a discreet walk-in STD testing system as well as affordable home testing. An efficient and friendly staff ensures you get the best care. For more information regarding the different