STDs are as common as any other infectious disease, the only difference being their mode of transmission. Caused by pathogens like viruses, bacteria, parasites, and yeast or their toxic products, STIs, or sexually transmitted infections spread through sexual intercourse. Over 20 different types of STDs are currently known to mankind.
The stigma associated with STDs often deters people from getting tested. Early diagnosis and timely treatment is the key to treating all STDs and curing most of them. Growing awareness helps get over the embarrassment attached to the disease. If you are still anxious about the privacy and confidentiality of the tests, worry not. Multiple diagnostic clinics conducting STD testing in Phoenix ensure you get completely discreet walk-in tests with same-day results.
Rising cases of STDs in Arizona
STD cases in the US continued to rise over the last decade, with the COVID-19-induced pandemic pushing the numbers through the roof. Arizona saw an alarming number of cases of Syphilis and Gonorrhea in 2021.
A CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) report published in 2020 revealed the state’s rates for both Syphilis and Gonorrhea outstripped the overall national rate for the diseases. Phoenix, too, contributed significantly to the state’s growing number of cases in recent years.
A quick look at some STDs
- Trichomoniasis – Commonly known as “trich”, this parasite-caused disease affects women more than men. Symptoms include painful urination, foul smelling vaginal discharge.
- Herpes – Caused by a virus, it is characterized by oral and genital sores or rashes.
- HIV / AIDS – Spread mostly through sharing infected needles and intercourse, HIV affects the immune system. It can result in AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome) and is consequently fatal.
- HPV – Human papillomavirus affects the genitalia and the surrounding skin, causing it to erupt into warts. It may lead to cervical cancer in women.
- Gonorrhea – This is spread by bacteria and affects the reproductive organs leading to infertility if left untreated.
- Syphilis – A bacterial infection spread via mucous membrane or skin coming in contact with infected sores, Syphilis can damage eyes, nerves, brain, or heart in its final stage.
- Hepatitis B – A major global concern, HBV is a fatal liver infection spread through exposure to infected bodily fluids. It can lead to cirrhosis or liver cancer and is easily preventable through vaccination.
- Chlamydia – A bacterial infection affecting the throat, reproductive organs, and rectum, it can irreversibly damage a woman’s reproductive system.
Who should go for STD screening and why
A sexually active life puts you at risk of contracting an STI, more so if you fall under the at-risk age group. Having multiple sexual partners and engaging in unprotected sex further increase the chances of catching an STD. It not only affects your physical health but also your mental well-being and even your relationship in the long run.
Most STIs remain asymptomatic in the initial years before turning into life-threatening conditions like Syphilis and Gonorrhea. A few, like HPV, HIV, and Hepatitis B, can even prove to be fatal if left untreated. Hence, you must undergo regular tests to prevent the diseases and take appropriate precautions if found positive.
STD testing options and services available in Phoenix
You don’t need to develop symptoms or signs of STDs to get yourself tested. Screening for STIs regularly, especially if you engage in unprotected sex, is a sensible choice. STD tests can be dedicated to a single disease or cover a range of STIs, depending on the tests conducted. Some of the common tests conducted to confirm STIs include-
- Urine analysis
- Blood tests
- Physical exams
You can even opt for panel testing offered by the STD testing clinics in Phoenix, covering a range of STIs.
- Standard 3-panel STD testing – Covers Syphilis, HIV 1/2, and Hepatitis C (HCV)
- Male 2-panel testing – Tests cover Chlamydia and Gonorrhea in men
- Female 3-panel testing – Tests for HIV 1/2, Syphilis, and Hepatitis C in women
Why Affordable Rapid Testing, Phoenix AZ is the recommended center for STD testing
Move over the social stigma and ignorance surrounding STDs and get yourself tested today. Affordable Rapid Testing is a premium Phoenix STD clinic offering the best and fastest services. Maintaining the highest patient discretion, they offer quick, painless, walk-in tests for every common STI. With guaranteed accuracy and a dedicated team of health professionals to provide the best treatment and detailed recovery plan, you can rest assured. They also provide same-day results. For further details, check out their official website.