Testing for drug abuse or alcohol addiction has become compulsory in workplaces, schools, colleges, and sports. It never occurs to us that drug test reports could turn out inaccurate. When you are only trying to live your life honestly but you suddenly get a false positive report, you wonder where it went wrong. Numerous factors, such as the side effects of specific medications, errors made during drug testing, or eating foods containing opiates or opioids, could be the reason.
Types for drug testing
A drug test is asked to perform by many companies, schools, or institutions, with the consent of the candidate. There are a variety of reasons why someone is being tested for drug addiction. These are categorized into the following three groups:
- Workplace and DOT drug testing: Many companies and sectors involved in safety-sensitive operations enforce testing during pre-employment to ensure that their employees are not working under the influence of illegal substances.
- Testing for sports: Athletes are always checked for addiction. It hinders them from using drugs to outperform their competitors as these substances increase productivity.
- School drug testing: Many schools employ drug screenings for students to ensure their students lead healthy lives.
Retesting steps after a false positive drug test
When a drug screening comes out false-positive, it is essential to apply for a retest. The candidate is permitted to request another test only after the false-positive result has been examined and proved to be inaccurate. While many companies offer free retests, some demand you pay for them. Retesting usually involves the following steps:-
- Step 1: An immunoassay test will be conducted to confirm the presence of the imposter substance in the urine, blood, or saliva samples.
- Step 2: If the test result comes back positive, then the second confirmatory step is to run more advanced tests like Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry or High-performance Liquid Chromatography. These tests identify and analyze separate chemicals and cost more than an average test.
Causes of a fake positive drug test result
Multiple factors could trigger a false positive drug test report. These are:
Passive Cannabis Usage
As drug urine testing is the most reliable method, any amount of THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) in your urine could be found by the test. Passively inhaling enough Marijuana smoke can also put you at risk of testing positive for THC. Only a second confirmatory test could prove your innocence.
Even edible items could hamper the test results. They are:-
- Poppy seeds: Poppy seeds contain codeine and morphine causing you to test positive for opioids.
- Hemp oil or food products: This oil comes from the hemp plant or Cannabis Sativa. It may show some level of THC in the body.
- Coca tea: Coca tea contains cocaine and drinking it can produce false reports.
Some medications contain certain compounds that may cause false positives on drug tests. Here is a list of medicines and their compounds that could be mistaken for drugs:
- Decongestants: Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) triggers fake positive results for Amphetamine or Methamphetamine.
- Weight loss or diet pills: Phentermine can produce the effect of Amphetamine, hampering the test report.
- Sleep aids: Diphenhydramine is mistaken to be PCP, a hallucinogenic substance.
- Antidepressants: Sertraline could cause false positives for Benzodiazepines.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: Meds like Ibuprofen and Naproxen used to cure fever, allergies, or pain may create false positives for Barbiturates.
- Antibiotics: A handful of antibiotics may end up in the drug test result.
- HIV drugs: An antiretroviral medicine Efavirenz contains Cannabinoids or Benzodiazepines, resulting in a fake positive drug result.
Choose Affordable Rapid Testing for a hassle-free drug testing experience
Drug testing is a painless and simple method of detecting the presence of illegal chemicals in the body. If you are wondering where to get tested for drugs, Affordable Rapid Testing has excellent testing service with a guarantee of accuracy at affordable rates. If you want to explore more about their services, visit their official website.